Friday, July 11, 2008

The Running of the Bulls

Okay, so here I am in Minneapolis this morning trying to wake up.  Last night we had a really loud bunch of storms pass by and it woke me up.  I managed to go back to sleep, but I am minus a few hours.  So, I decided to check out the news this morning as a way of waking up.  

Over in Pamplona Italy it is that time of year when they board up the shops and have these celebratory days that I like to refer to as "The Influx of Mass Insanity", otherwise known as the "Running of the Bulls".  Now, I don't wish to trample (no pun intended) on a cultural tradition that has been around since 1591, but I have to ask myself who in their right mind would be on the same street as a herd of fighting bulls runs down it? (Thus the influx of insanity) I always seem magnetically drawn to the pictures of the running and the aftermath, and always wonder why people find it so enticing to be trampled by or gored by a bull?  I am sure you get quite the adrenalin rush.  Although I am not sure risking a horn through one's chest is worth it. Not too mention getting your vertebrae squashed as the bulls run over you.   There's just something about that injury potential that really isn't all that alluring. 

I have to say that this is the first year I have seen women in the pictures.  While I am all for equality,  I have to ask my sisters "What are you thinking??!!"  It's bad enough for the guys to be out there being trampled... but on average women are even smaller than men in stature.  This leads me to believe that when a bulls gores or tramples that perhaps the damage factor is ratcheted up a lot more.  So I will take the controversial stand to state "Women should not participate in the Running of the Bulls."  There, I said it.  Some might think I should turn in my independent girl card but I think someone has to take a stand in all that insanity.  There are just some events that women should not take part in.  We as a gender have enough to contend with during our lives (some more than others ---childbearing for example...similarly as painful I am sure) that we don't need to add running from a herd of really pissed off cows.  

There were several participants being taken to the hospital after the run.  One guy seemed to be in bad shape, and looked a bit pasty if you ask me.  They had a C-collar on him and put him on a back board. I hope he's okay.  But if not,  how does one explain one's paralysis as a badge of honor? This is why I refer to it as insanity.  Certainly there has to be other ways to prove one's maleness factor that are less fraught with pending death or dismemberment.  I mean there are variables that you can't control here.  That guy who pushes you down, or that girl who distracts you and then you find yourself at the wrong place at definitely the wrong time.  Why not jump off a tall building instead?  At least then most people take reasonable steps to prevent the injuries associated with deceleration, and there is no one else there sabotaging your exit. Except for maybe the guy driving the car you land in front of.  Well okay, perhaps not the best alternate example. But you get my point.  

If I ever make to Italy, I can assure you I will enjoy other aspects of Italian culture and history to the fullest without risking paralysis or death.  I wonder what makes tourists think this is a good idea? We remind travelers to be careful of things like ferries and such while abroad because as we all know and have heard about ferries overturning due to overcrowding.  However, I don't think it occurs to most Travel Medicine practitioners to warn people about their own feet as a conveyance in Italy.  I can only imagine the teaching session...

TM practitioner:
"Okay...ah..you are going to Italy.  Well, while there and amongst all that wonderful food, wine and history, please keep in mind that your feet will not convey you any faster than normal if you are running from a really large herd of pissed off cows."   

Patient:
"Why would I run from a large herd of pissed off cows?"

TM practitioner:
"Well it is easy to get up in the moment over there especially after the food and wine, especially.  I just want you to know that your feet are not imbued with magical running or leaping powers should you decide to participate in the festival that way."

Patient:  "Ah...okay.  Thanks. " (Walks away wondering what is wrong that person)

Over in Italy however, it's a different story.   "I'll show you who doesn't have magic feet!" And thus, the insanity begins. 

Well, now that I am fully awake, I suppose I'd better get ready for the conference this morning!






No comments: