Monday, July 14, 2008

Lightning strike!

Lightning strike!
While in Minneapolis, we had a really bad storm roll through. It had generated a Tornado about 50 miles west of the city about an hour before it hit the city. I decided to take several photos of it and post them to http://www.webshots.com/ under my user name baileyscrn. It was a really powerful storm and it was quite eerie because of the glowing as it rolled over us. It had a very well defined shelf cloud and because it was so narrow a storm, the sun made the sky glow. Quite impressive on Mother Nature's part. Some of the shots show the building that is getting struck by lightning appearing to be glowing. But it is in fact reflecting the blue sky behind my hotel while the storm moves through. You can see how the white part of the building actually gets darker as the storm moves through. There was a LOT of lightning with the storm and I have to tell you I was more than a little nervous to be standing in the window taking pictures on the 14th floor! But, I got some great shots for the effort!

By the way, I have not done any touch-ups on this photo... isn't the sky gorgeous?!

No comments: