Friday, June 27, 2008

What a way to start the day....

Well, today was the big day for window replacement. We've been hearing about it since before we signed the lease in May. They came last week and replaced the sliding glass door because one of the anklebiters nearly shattered it. It really is very nice. Can't hear a thing outside now, and I am sure we'll see an improvement in the bills too.

So, in preparation for the big day, we had to move everything in front of all the windows away at least 4 ft. Then, to my surprise the guard says "Oh, I think yours are getting done on Monday." Bummer! But then he came back and said "Oh no... they'll be doing it today...." YEAH!!

So just after all the windows in the bedrooms, sewing room and dining room had been removed, we clearly heard multiple sirens. I thought it must be a major bunch of trucks going down Rt. 29 or on Lockwood behind us. Alas, it was not. They were coming to us! It appears that while trying to plant lines for the new Verizon FiOs thing, they struck the gas line. At first we couldn't hear it because of the chain saw working on the tree to our right. Then lo and behold... not 1, but 3 firetrucks appear on the scene along with an ambulance. They made the guys with the chainsaw stop working even though they were well beyond 500 yds. away from the leak. Then we heard it... a loud whoosing sound.

That makes you wonder... just how bad is it if you have to stop work 500 yds. away? Well we soon found out. Hydrogen Sulfide in the morning is not the best way to start your day, let me tell you. Eau de "rotten egg" is definitely obnoxious. And now because we had a lovely cross breeze through the now wide open holes where our windows were we were getting quite the first hand experience with it. And, it was at least 500 yds away. I am just really glad I didn't live in the other building close to where that happened! But because the smell was so strong, they couldn't continue to put in the windows because of spark potential... !! At least that's what they told us. So we waited, and waited, and hoped we weren't losing too many brain cells!

So after ascertaining that I wasn't going to have to do a Fireman's carry down the 3 flights of stairs with my Aunt, I decided to go to work. On my way out I discovered that someone was injured or overcome by something because they were hosing something off and an ambulance was carting someone away.

As I left, it seemed the entire maintenance crew was having a confab under the pergola in the Zen garden discussing what happened and how they were going to fix it. I am sure glad I wasn't the one in the backhoe today!

No comments: